True Stuff that I Made Up

PLEASE NOTE: The entries which are published at this site are solely my personal and sometimes whimsical musings. For information regarding my political positions and proposals, please visit www.LarryKump.us.

Further, this website is devoutly dedicated to all of my friends and associates, both early and late, who have mentored and influenced me. However, being who they are, the majority of them have been late most of the time.

  Also, check out my personal entry at Mormon.org.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Preserving Our Freedom to Choose

While recently reading the counsel of LDS President Thomas S. Monson ("The Three Rs of Choice", November 2010 issue of the
"Ensign" and "Liahona" magazines), his words reminded me of some other voices, many of whom are in positions of government and civic leadership.

Accordingly and in response to those who have asked me why I finally agreed to be a candidate for and then serve as a member of the West Virginia Legislature (House of Delegates District # 52, portions of Berkeley and Morgan counties in the Eastern Panhandle), it was and is, for me, a political and personal choice that is part and parcel of the essence of my faith in God and and the importance of His gift of choice (agency) to all of us.

Former LDS Church President David O. McKay, in speaking of our sacred right of personal choice, once pointed out that, "next to the bestowal of life itself, the right to direct that life is God's greatest gift to man.".

For me, this also especially is true when well intentioned others attempt to force laws and regulations upon us that they feel are "in our best interests" (as they define them).

Making correct and moral choices is vital to our personal and family welfare, both here and now as well as throughout eternity, but those choices must be ours to make and not be imposed upon us by others, regardless of their good intentions.

Footnote: For me, much of our freedom of choice is embodied in the Bill of Rights of our United States Constitution, with special note of the Tenth Amendment. More information about my political positions and philosophy is available at www.LarryKump.us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home