True Stuff that I Made Up

PLEASE NOTE: The entries which are published at this site are solely my personal and sometimes whimsical musings. For information regarding my political positions and proposals, please visit www.LarryKump.us.

Further, this website is devoutly dedicated to all of my friends and associates, both early and late, who have mentored and influenced me. However, being who they are, the majority of them have been late most of the time.

  Also, check out my personal entry at Mormon.org.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Musings of an LDS Moralist Libertarian

While my political philosophy has been influenced and enhanced in large part by my faith (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - LDS Church), my political beliefs nonetheless are my own, and should not in any way be construed as official LDS policy or doctrine.
I believe that the Constitution of the United States of America was established by God through divinely inspired men who were raised up by God for that very purpose (see LDS Doctrine & Covenants: Section 101, verse 80), but that our government also should not attempt to coerce or "bind the consciences" of we, the people ( see LDS Doctrine & Covenants: Section 134, verse 4).
In other words, all of us have individual and family responsibilities to live productive and moral lives, but that responsibility should not be mandated by government.
We also are held accountable by God to seek out and support righteous leaders (see LDS Doctrine & Covenants: Section 134, verse 3), but neither we or our leaders should attempt to impose our values upon others or take away their freedoms of choice.
For example, I believe all (not just the wealthy) have a responsibility
and moral obligation to reach out and help the disadvantaged among us (such as is done within the LDS Church via monthly "fast offerings").
I believe that all attempts to help the disadvantaged, especially including government programs and policies, should encourage and promote self and family reliance and not reward laziness by creating an Aldous Huxley "Nanny-State" of a permanent underclass of entitlement dependents.
I believe wrongdoers should be fairly tried and judged for their crimes against other persons and property.
However, to be tried or given heavier punishments for using a particular kind of weapon (gun control laws) does not deter the criminals but only diminishes the Constitutional Second Amendment rights of law abiding citizens.
Likewise, to prosecute people for the alleged thoughts of their hearts or on the basis of invidious classes ("Hate" crimes), as determined by an Orwellian "Thought-Police" codex, is oxymoronic as well as destructive to a civil and a harmonious society; it actually breeds more race and class conflict..
To me, abortion is moral anathema, although other sincere folks disagree; but the government should not be involved in either prohibiting it or funding it.
Even so, I support the election of leaders who support persuading all of us to embrace a "culture of life", and to provide more positive incentives for adoption and other alternatives to abortion.
There are many good and sincere men and women within all mainstream political parties, but I cannot embrace any political party whose political platform and leadership endorses and even celebrates moral deviant behavior or discriminates against people of faith.
Conversely, I also cannot embrace the doctrine any political party who seeks to impose the religious philosophy and doctrine of a few upon the many or of the many upon the few.

Postscript: U. S. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) is a member of my Church, but he certainly does not share many of my political values.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the events in my hometown of New Orleans before, during and after Hurricane Katrina are a perfect illustration of the result of the "Nanny-state"...how sad. Will we (the U.S.) learn anything from it?

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home