True Stuff that I Made Up

PLEASE NOTE: The entries which are published at this site are solely my personal and sometimes whimsical musings. For information regarding my political positions and proposals, please visit www.LarryKump.us.

Further, this website is devoutly dedicated to all of my friends and associates, both early and late, who have mentored and influenced me. However, being who they are, the majority of them have been late most of the time.

  Also, check out my personal entry at Mormon.org.

Monday, December 06, 2004

The meaning of Pi(e)...

Thanks to my Seylar kinfolk and the culinary talents and Christ-like charity of another gracious lady, my Dad,Willis "Woody" Kump (Falling Waters, WV), recently received a wonderful surprise.
When he was a young lad, his maternal grandmother, Mary "Maw" Seylar baked her own style of mincemeat pies, which he dearly loved.
Since then, the mincemeat pies of others weren't the same for him. He just didn't like them.
Hearing him recently reminisce about those pies inspired me to track down the recipe from one of our Seylar cousins, Norma J. Horst (Chambersburg, PA), and Sandy Wheeler (Hagerstown, MD) graciously offered to make those pies, from scratch, for him.
At Church last Sunday, Sandy, refusing any compensation from me whatsoever, delivered two huge deep-dish mincemeat pies to me, which I then gladly presented to my Dad.
It had been over fifty years since Dad has enjoyed one of Maw's pies, but he remembered and reveled in their taste, as well as the memories from his childhood.
Thank you Norma and Sandy, more than words can express.

Addendum: In response to those of you who have asked for the recipe, here's the recipe-
2.5 pounds of ground beef, browned
2 pounds of raisins (I prefer the pie without raisins)
4 quarts of finely chopped apples
3 finely chopped organges
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of nutmeg
a "little bit" of allspice (that's what she wrote down)
2 cups of apple cider
1 pound of brown sugar
1 cup of honey
Toss all ingredients.
Bake in a pie crust at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Makes 6 (count 'em) pies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home