True Stuff that I Made Up

PLEASE NOTE: The entries which are published at this site are solely my personal and sometimes whimsical musings. For information regarding my political positions and proposals, please visit www.LarryKump.us.

Further, this website is devoutly dedicated to all of my friends and associates, both early and late, who have mentored and influenced me. However, being who they are, the majority of them have been late most of the time.

  Also, check out my personal entry at Mormon.org.

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Margaret "Peg" Gross on "Remembering Tom"

Larry,
As you may know, music always has been a significant part of my being, so I wish to share some personal trivia with you.
In 1957 or 1958, (when I finished the 8th grade), I attended a music camp, and, in the choir, we sang an anthem.
I remember the chorus having two voice parts:
First, the men sang (in a drone), "These times try men's souls, these times try men's souls...."
Then the sopranos and altos sang, "The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.."
After receiving your e-mail, I "Googled" this and found the full quote by Thomas Paine.
I loved the anthem at the time, but did not understand then what it really was about.
Now I have something to read, so that I, a POOR history student, can understand it.
Thanks for sharing.
Peg

Note from Larry: See the previous "Remembering Tom" entry at this web log for the rest of this story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home